I love sundays. The week looming before me drives any thoughts of boredom out of my head and I am left planning, cleaning, and then winding down with a good book and a glass of wine. It is my no-stress, productive day of the week. Suits me perfectly.
This sunday was mostly in the kitchen. Now that my garden is in full swing in the backyard, I am brining in zucchinis, squash, green beans, and peppers daily. This bountiful summer glut however means I have loads of veggies I need to either gift away or use up in my kitchen. One of my favorite ways to use zucchini is to make zucchini bread. I am sure some of you winced hearing that. I am not talking sickly sweet zucchini bread. I am talking blueberry cinnamon zucchini bread. Spicy, moist, a little sweet, it is the perfect summer breakfast…er, or snack…food. Here’s the recipe for you to try at home.
BLUEBERRY CINNAMON ZUCCHINI BREAD:
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or 1 cup oil if you choose to not use apple sauce)
- 1/2 apple sauce
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 4 mini-loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, apple sauce, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to the prepared mini-loaf pans.
- Bake 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
I spent the rest of the day prepping for this week, drinking iced tea, and digging the lazy, hazy days of summer.
And spending time in my garden harvesting all my goodies…